C.A.R. National Headquarters
Headquarters staff can be reached during business hours of
8:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m., Eastern Time, Monday-Friday.
Mail: 1776 D St NW Room 224, Washington DC 20006-5303
C.A.R. National Headquarters, located in the DAR Building, is comprised of
the following four divisions:
- N.S.C.A.R. Museum
- The Children’s Room
- N.S.C.A.R. Library
C.A.R. Business Office
Since the founding of the National Society, donations have been made to the N.S.C.A.R. Museum. The Museum was dedicated to the “Youth of America,” and its primary purpose is to help young people understand and appreciate American Heritage.
The National Society of the Children of the American Revolution Museum is adjacent to the C.A.R. Business Office. The museum contains artifacts of the colonial era, American Revolution, and post-American Revolutionary War periods. For all of you who are not able to come to D.C. and see the N.S.C.A.R.
Museum in person, take a tour here on line and learn about the A,B,C's
of the Road to Independence Exhibit. The Tour is available below in PowerPoint and PDF formats.
ABC Museum Tour - PPT Format
ABC Museum Tour - PDF Format
The Veterans Tribute was approved June 1, 2008, for a framed stained-glass panel, created by Neumann Studios, for the N.S.C.A.R. Museum at the entrance to C.A.R. National Headquarters. The book stand with a memorial plaque is in memory of Dr. David R. Curfman and donated by the Senior National Officers Club. Money for the tribute was raised from $200 donations for each of the 66 pieces of stained glass from individuals or groups recognized in the book and in the C.A.R. Magazine. This was an extremely popular tribute.
The Children’s Room
When Memorial Continental Hall was built in 1910, the Daughters of the American Revolution invited the Children of the American Revolution to purchase a room to be used by the children. The Children's Room is located on the third floor of DAR Memorial Continental Hall.
Between 1910 and 1950, The Children’s Room was used for numerous purposes including an office, museum, library, meetings of the Senior National Board of Management, and even National Conventions. During World War II, The Children’s Room was used by the American Red Cross to aid in the war effort. From 1950–1999, The Children’s Room was used as a Board Room and committee meeting room.
The Children’s Room was renovated to accommodate many of the C.A.R. items previously on display at Gadsby’s Tavern Museum. The current exhibit depicts furniture and furnishings of the American Revolutionary period and was dedicated on the 90th Anniversary of The Children’s Room in April 2000.
As part of the 100th Anniversary Celebration of The Children’s Room, a “virtual tour” was created by Virtual Laboratories, Inc. Click here to view the Virtual Tour!
The National Society of the Children of the American Revolution Library provides multimedia educational opportunities by offering various types of material pertaining to the colonial era, American Revolution, and post-American Revolutionary War periods. Reference and resource materials are available for research. Included are writings by and about the author-founder of the N.S.C.A.R., Harriett Mulford Lothrop—pen name, Margaret Sidney. Materials about N.S.C.A.R. programs and the lives of young Americans of this period also are offered.
Programs and Activities are available on this website under "Resources."
C.A.R. Business Office
Records of the National Society are maintained in the C.A.R. Business Office on the second floor of Constitution Hall. The National and Senior National Officers and Chairmen, together with a paid staff, effectively manage the routine business of the National Society.